Saturday, January 16, 2010

Even Innkeepers need a vacation!

It's one of those funny things us humans do to ourselves. We like to travel and we are innkeepers. So that really limits us to being able to travel. As most of you know, Laura has her own business and with that, she travels a lot in support of that business. Sales calls all over the United States and she is in Hong Kong a couple of times a year. So while she is able to keep the travel urge under control, I'm here at The Craftsman B&B helping my guests with their travel plans.

So when do I get a vacation? Well, the last 2 seasons, May - September, each year I had only 2 days where I didn't have someone checking in. That doesn't give me a full day off as I do breakfast and clean the rooms, but it can be a nice break. I'm happy to be busy because I know the winter will slow down a bit. The first 2 years we were in business, we had no guests in January, so we decided to take the time for ourselves. Here is a Salt & Pepper to give you a hint of what we did.

That's right, sailing. I have always like to sail. I'm no expert, but pretty good a following directions. Show me what to do and tell me when to do it and I'm the best crew member there is.

Here are the S&P's apart. Each sail is a shaker and the boat is the holder.

Last year our vacation was spent sailing the windward islands of the Caribbean. We started off in Barbados, sailed north for 4 days, then back south for 3, a week on the water.

Here is a shot of Laura in the rigging.

We were on the 439 foot, 5 masted Royal Clipper. It was an awesome experience, so much so, we are headed back next week for a 2 week sail. Now if I can only find my pirate costume.

No comments: