Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is more, better?

That's a good question. Let's debate: I an a more, simple is better kind of guy. You can tell by how I did the interiors of The Craftsman B&B, the original "no lace, no doilies" B&B.

Form follows function. Ever hear that before? It means make something work, easy to use, first, then design in nice aesthetics. Michael Graves in the master of this in our era. He is the father of post-modern design.

Of course the Craftsman movement did it pretty well. I've written a lot about this in past blogs, but quickly, they ditched the ornate machine made Victorian "decoration" for simple hand made arts.

The Shakers had it almost all correct. Make useful items with your hands and your heart. Function and multi-use above all else. The celibacy part of their religion was a mistake.

But sometimes more is better. Automobiles are a great example of this. The first car I drove didn't come with a radio. Now, any car I buy must have: heated seats, dual climate control, Xenon headlights and an auto-tinting rear view mirror. 10 years ago, it was rare, now almost all cars have them, even micro cars.

Now let's talk about Christmas. I like a few gifts. I grew up on getting socks and underwear for gifts and Santa brought us toys. Seven people in the family and we were done opening presents in an hour. Plain and simple. Then I meet Laura, the first few Christmas' were insane. I thought it took all day to open presents, that was until the grand kids showed up, then it actually did take all day. Which is better?

Now we get to today's salt and pepper shakers.

Is more better? These came from Neiman Marcus. Known for being over the top, these fit the bill. Let's break the design down. First, they are S&P's. OK, simple right? Nutcrackers, very Christmas'y. But let's look a little harder, they also snow globes. Now I like a good snow globe. I have one depicting the car roll over scene in the movie Fargo. So we have nutcrackers in a snow globe that are also S&P's from Neiman Marcus. I'd have to say more is not better!

No comments: