Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Better than S'mores

I'm not a big fan of S'mores. I know, an innkeeper that doesn't like coffee and now this? I don't mind chocolate, I have never had a craving for it and don't seek it out, yet another nontraditional trait of an innkeeper. Oh, and marshmallows, don't get me started. Besides the game "fuzzy bunny" I don't go near them. Graham crackers, not a staple of my pantry.

My guests last night at The Craftsman B&B had a great, alternative beach snack. They got Tillamook Cheese, a loaf of crusty bread, a beer and a tin can. They made a fire on the beach, melted the cheese in the can, with a little splash of beer to get it nice and creamy, and dipped with the bread. Mmmm, tasty, I'll call it Hobo Fondue.

Now cheese fondue, that's a great snack, appetizer or meal. Made the French or Bavarian style, it's soooo good. A trip to Portland, for me, usually includes a meal at Gustav's and Fondue for a start of a great meal. I used to work near Gustav's and ate there at least once a month, it's all about the cheese.

Now you may know that I'm a little bit competitive, so of course there are rules to fondue. The one rule I have always lived with is the first person who drops their bread in the fondue pot has to pay the tip on the dinner bill. But a little research truned up a few more rules via Martha Stewart:

Rule 1: If a woman drops her bread in the fondue pot, she has to kiss every man at the table.

Rule 2: If a man drops his bread in the fondue pot, he has to buy a bottle of wine for everyone at the table.

Rule 3: If someone drops two pieces of bread in the pot, they have to plan the next fondue party.

Martha's Tip: Make sure you invite men you want to kiss to your fondue party.

Next time your in Pacific City, without the kids, yearning for a beach fire, but not the "usual campfire snack" try the Hobo Fondue, then back to your cozy room at the B&B.

No comments: