Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Baby, it's cold out there!

Well the cold snap continues here at The Craftsman B&B in Pacific City. I still haven't got the down vest out, but I am wearing gloves when I go outside. I knew it was going to be another cold morning, so I slept in a little bit and when I got up with the sun just peeking over the coast range, it was 25ยบ. That's the lowest I've seen here.

The snow men are still safe in this weather. The high yesterday was below freezing! This is one of the reasons I didn't open the B&B in Bend or Sisters, Oregon. I really like our mild temperatures we have at the beach. The bright spot is we haven't had rain, or in this weather, freezing rain.

This Salt & Pepper snowman is in two parts, I like the two part kind. They take up less shelf space and are creative.

As most of you know, I rarely drive in a car now that I live in our, still tiny town. Yesterday I needed to get black oil sunflower seeds from the farm store in Cloverdale, the next town up Highway 101. Because I don't drive, the battery doesn't get recharged often enough so starting is a slow process, but it starts. The cold has taken its toll and the car required a charge for about a half hour. I'm so glad I have the tools to get this kind of stuff done, so are the birds. I also unhooked the hoses and put the foam covers on the spigots. I'm glad I did, a few friends had some frozen pipes this morning.

So the East, off shore, winds that are rare here in Pacific City are partly to blame for our cold spell, but they do bring good surfing waves. 6 footers predicted for Friday, come on down and get your surf on!

No comments: