Thursday, July 30, 2009

End of an Era


For those of you who follow my blog and those of you you check in on occasion, I thank you. This is my last blog entry. I will be handing over the keyboard to Mike and Laura and a replacement blogger to be named later.

As most of you know, I have been surviving bone cancer in my back leg for the last six months. The past week, I didn't feel like doing anything, not even surfing the Internet or blogging. So I saved up enough energy to write this last post. Mike promised he will keep on blogging for me and maybe Laura will add some posts too. After all, we all want you to know what's happening around The Craftsman B&B and our tiny beach town of Pacific City.

Looking back, I had it pretty good. I was born in January 1998 to Kobe and Pearl, their human parents are great friends to my human parents. I was the second biggest of the litter and stole Mike's heart the day he came "just to look at the puppies." I went home with them that day. I got crate trained and with Mike and Laura's schedule, I was only in it to sleep overnight and nap a few hours a day for most of the time I lived in Lake Oswego. When we moved to Pacific City, I was free of the crate, but had my own secret space to chill, it was under the espresso machine. I never really liked the beach, I don't like getting wet. The smells were pretty good though and I got to mark my territory all over town. I learned my way to the hardware store and the bank in town and always got a cookie. I love to greet the guests and make sure they got checked in OK.

I'll keep this short. I am a good dog, had a good life, but my body just gave up one me. I got really good at hopping on 3 legs, but at 100 pounds, it took a toll and wore me out. For all those friends and guests I've met, I will always remember your scent.

1/17/1998 - 7/30/2009
Oscar Meier

7 comments:

Ruth & Greg Rech said...

Hi Mike and Laura,
We too are sad to hear about Oscar's passing. We know he was very important to the B&B and to both of you. He was there when you got married and he was there for the opening of the B&B. Both important milestones in your life and you will always have those anniversaries to remember everything you accomplished together with Oscar.
Love Greg and Ruth

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike and Laura,
Oh, I'm so so sorry to hear of your loss...of Oscar's passing. I'm a perfect stranger, living in Oregon. My great grandma Moores owned a cabin in Pacific City, so I enjoyed reading your blog and hearing what was going on. I never met Oscar or visited your B&B(yet)and only read his blog for a short few weeks this summer. His picture stole my heart... Now it breaks for your family. Losing a beloved pet is so hard. I'm truly sorry for your loss....

DapperFrog said...

Oscar Sleep Well And Pain Free

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Anonymous said...

We will miss Oscar very much. He was a part of our lives too, as our nephew dog. Fond memories will always be with Mike and Laura, the guests of the B&B and his extended family.
Renee and David

Susan said...

Rest well, Oscar.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike and Laura,

Our thoughts are with you. We've only stayed at the Craftsman once so far but loved Oscar and enjoyed the time we got to spend with him.

Sincerely,
Vinyse and Derek
Vancouver, BC

Peter Scherman said...

RIP, Oscar. Tough... :-(