Saturday, September 13, 2008

Promises made to yourself

Have you ever made a promise to yourself? You know, I will never get that drunk again.... Me as a pampered innkeepers dog, I don't need to. Everything I want, I get. I have no regrets. If I have made mistakes in my life, my short term memory is so short, I don't remember any of them. Well most humans have taken mental notes of situations they encounter in daily living and say to themselves, "I won't do that again." Wisdom is what I think it's called. Teenagers don't have a lot of it, they just think they do. Ask any parent of a teenager, they'll tell you.

So Mike has to go into town to get supplies for the B&B. Tillamook, Lincoln City and Salem are his usual places to go. Summer is winding down and he thought he was good to go for the weekend. Well, we are still pretty busy around here and he needed to make a run to Salem for supplies today, Saturday.

OK, do you see where I'm going with this? The nice thing about running a B&B is it is a 24 hour 7 day a week job. During the week, people stay here a few nights in a row, so nobody new is checking in on a particular day. That's the day Mike will run into Salem. Shopping mid-week and mid-day is really easy. Saturday, not so much.

The task for today's run was Costco. During the week, no big deal. Mike shops with the soccer mom's. He is good at knowing what he usually buys there and prints out a list from the computer, when I'm not blogging, of course. He knows where everything is that he needs at Costco. If there is something new on the list, that can be a challenge. Anyway, the point of the story is a promise made to yourself and Mike's was, "I'll never shop at Costco on the weekend." It's CRAZY! Mike has never understood what the big deal is about free food. He is kind of thin so I can see why, but when he was working in the graphics business, cookies on a plate, gone. Doughnuts, gone. We had fruit trees at our old house, Mike would bring in a bushel of pears, gone. Samples at Costco, people line up for a taste of granola. He doesn't get it. My whole life is based on people giving me food. I love free food.

So the isles that have free food are the ones with all the crazy people milling around and not moving. 100 pound women pushing 200 pound carts. Kids everywhere. Mike goes to Costco to get what he needs, no shopping around, no browsing the books, no looking at a 50 pound bag of sugar, wondering where to store it when he gets back to the house. In and out. Saturday, there is no in and out. He was impressed with all the people working there, keeping isles clear of empty cardboard, picking up all the paper thet the free food was handed out on, you know working and helping shoppers. He had to ask for help as they re-shelved the freezer section, and the person knew where the item was.

So to wrap this up, lot's of staff and lot's of people on Saturday. Fewer staff and fewer people during the week. Will Mike ever shop there on Saturday again? Not likely, at least that's what he kept muttering to himself when he got home to The Craftsman B&B.

No comments: