Monday, October 27, 2008

Driving on the Beach




That's right, you can drive on the beaches around Pacific City. We have a Volkswagen Toureg that takes me all over the place. I love to go for a ride. My nose out the window and ears flapping in the wind. I am good up to 65 mph. I get to smell all sorts of things, cows, cut grass, way more than you humans. I even know when we are almost home. I must admit, I do like to nap in the car, but when I am a block from the house, I wake up. It's weird, I know. I don't know how I do it. Is it the smell? The speed of the car? The noise of the blinker? I think it's all of these things. But I have been tested, Mike has simulated the same type of turns at other places, and I do not react. Want to know how good my senses are? I even do it at the house we stay at in Portland. I know home, The Craftsman B&B.

I digress. I was talking about driving on the beach. This is fun. I get to save my energy to beach exploring. I didn't walk to the beach, so I know I'll be getting a ride home. I go all out. I most always on my leash, my nose can get me too far away from Mike. My favorite is running in the soft sand, right on the edge of the hard sand. Nose to the ground. I like to smell all that came in during the last high tide. I discover all sorts of things, sea birds are very stinky. I don't roll around in them like other dogs, I just mark them and move on. I like to mark sand castles too. Last year there was a sea lion on the beach for months, it got stinkier every time I went by, still, I just marked it, after a good long whiff.

So driving on the beach. Don't do it in your Mustang or Accord. You think I'm joking? You think nobody would drive on the beach in a regular car? You would be wrong. Even if you have a vehicle capable of the sand, the driver still has to be smart.

You can access the beach in your vehicle at the Cape Kiwanda State Park's parking lot.  For adventure, the west end of Pacific street in Pacific City, we call that the Turn-A-Round.  Our favorite spot is a steep road off McPhillips Road, North of the Cape.
Check out this map:

View Larger Map
Tides. A few summers ago there was a black Hummer H3 parked on the beach. As the tide rolled in, everyone moved their vehicles up the beach or left. This Hummer didn't. No one around. So as the water reached the wheels, they came back to move it. Have you ever stood on the beach and let the waves bury your feet. You just stand there and the sand will gather and sink you. Well this Hummer stuck itself, they tried to move it, but it was too late. By the time the tow truck arrived, the water was up to the floor and seats.  As it turns out, this was a rental, get that insurance!

Soft sand.  You will have to drive in soft sand at some point.  Rule #1:  Don't stop.

We drive on a beach just North of Cape Kiawanda.  It is hard sand all the time.  There is a hill that stops the tide, so no hard sand to get stuck in.  During the winter, I can run free on this beach.  The ocean and Cape prevent me from going too far.  By the time Mike walks to the end, I've smelled everything and marked everything.  I am back on my leash and walk back to the VW.  I can also find that where ever it's parked.

So come on down to Pacific City here on the Oregon Coast.  Drive on the beach, just don't get stuck.

No comments: