Thursday, July 24, 2008

Anniversary

Today is a regular day in the life of a spoiled dog. I spent the morning sunning myself on the back porch, it gets great morning light this time of year. I was watching the steam rise off of the shed roof, it nearly put me back to sleep..... Oh, as I was saying, regular dog day, but special day for Mike and Laura.

Today is their 9th wedding anniversary. I remember it like it was 63 years ago, that's dog years. Family and friends form all over came for the party. I recall that not a lot of friends came to the church, they were asked to head straight to the party and get that started. The church was really small so mostly out-of-towners and family were there.

Mike and Laura have been exchanging anniversary gifts per the traditional, modern and alternative suggested gifts from where ever that list came from. I'd blame Hallmark, but they only make the cards. It's a fun tradition, Mike likes to stretch the item as far as he can. The first year was paper. Mike made a treasure map where each clue led Laura to a new spot in Portland. All the clues were stuffed in a Pinata. The 5th year is wood. Laura got Mike a Mackintosh style bed frame. It is now in the Mackintosh Room.

The gifts go from 1 - 15 years and then every five after that. I guess 16 might be trash cans, 17 could be a weed wacker, who know what they will do.

This year they were planning on going to Astoria for a night in a Guild B&B. But the B&B is busy in July so who knows what will happen. If they have no bookings on Sunday, they may go to Portland and have dinner at their favorite restaurant, El Gaucho. If they do, Sean and Chenin will have to take care of me. I can't be left with food laying out. If I see food, I must eat it all at once. Maybe I'll get a play date.

No comments: