Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hanging out at Twist Wine


It's Friday night.  I see food out on the kitchen counter for dinner but nobody is making dinner.  All the guests have checked in, why isn't anyone cooking.  I've had my dinner, at 5:00, remember?  Then Mike and Laura head out the door.  I guess they are going out.  One room comes back home and I welcome them. They are packing up, that's confusing and Mike shows up alone.  The guests have an emergency in Portland.  Mike checks them out and asks me if I would like to go for a ride, of course I do.  I hop in the back of the Touareg and we only go a block before we stop.

We are at Twist.  Our neighbors new tasting room and wine bar.  It's busy.  I settle in to a spot by the door, that way I can check on anyone new.  A lot of people from the Pelican are here.  Drinking beer, in a wine bar? What's up with that.  Turns out, they serve beer too.  Last night was the release of Chenin's brother, Vinnie Cilurzo, Brewmaster of the famous beer Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewing in Santa Rosa California. 

Of course all the assistant brewers are drinking up.  I've never seen the head brewer, why is that?  Mike and Laura chat with everyone and say hi to most in Twist.  It is a small town we live in, they know most of the full time locals.  Justin, our neighbor one street back is checking our Willamette Week.  Mike and Laura tell the story of how they met, an ad in Willamette Week.  This is before online dating was invented.

The glasses are empty, Laura picks up some flowers Chenin brought back from the Farmers Market and we are back home.  I love hanging out at twist.

No comments: