Sunday, July 27, 2008

Syrah the Cat


I love visitors to The Craftsman B&B.  There is one visitor, who comes by every day, that I'd like to get to know better.  Her name is Syrah, like the grape.  She lives across the street, but during the Summer, she is outside most of the day.  Last year she spent a lot of time in our driveway.  I could see her from my perch on the back porch.  She would lay in under the truck if it was hot or if she was stalking hummingbirds in the fuchsia bush.  Mostly she rested, the classic sun and dirt bath. You know, rolling around in the dirt, soaking up rays.  The dustier the better.

She has a lot of control when it comes to dogs.  My friends Sami and Abbey are mesmerized by her.  She walks through the house and they stand aside.  She allows them to be in the same room.  I like that kind of power in a cat.  I would like to be better friends with her.  Whenever I see her, I get so excited.  I run right up to her.  She, of course, hates that and runs away.  I like when she comes onto the front porch of The Craftsman B&B during the winter.  It's protected from the wind and rain and gets great afternoon light.  It's making me sleepy just thinking about a nap in the sun.

So yesterday, I come home from a walk and there she is, sitting in the flower bed of the B&B sign.  Just out of contact, but close enough for a sniff.  I let her be, she looked happy to have found a new spot.  She can see Abbey and Sami inside the house, showing off that she is free to roam the neighborhood.

Cats rule!  I mean to say, from my experience, I really like cats.  Oh, and I like dogs, and people too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oscar,
It's not that I don't like you, it's that I'm a lover not a fighter. I'd rather run away and stay friends than have to open up a few gashes on your nose to teach you how to romance a girl-we like to be sweet talked.
Besides, you spend all your time flirting with Sami and Abbey-and yeah, they are dogs and all, but they got nothin on cat woman!
-Syrah