Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cape Lookout Walk


I thought I'd start this off with telling you about a grand day I had the other day.  It started like any other at The Craftsman B&B.  I was woken up at 6:30 a.m. by the alarm clock. I didn't get up, I get up when Mike gets up. I walked around a bit and waited to hear my breakfast hit the bowl.  I was waiting for fresh water before starting.  A few seconds later, I was done and ready to take on the day.  I watched Mike start the muffins and set the table.  Breakfast was started and I waited for the guests.  Breakfast was served so I spent some time on the back deck while the guest ate, I'm not allowed in the dining room.  The guests packed up and were on their way.   I watched Mike clean the rooms and start the laundry.

What happened next was just the start of my special day.  I heard, "do you want to go for a ride?"  I ran to the door and waited for the leash.  Out we went and I got to sniff the front yard for just a bit before the tailgate to the Touareg opened up.  I hopped in and got my nose out the window.  I wondered where we were going, the vet, Portland?  I decided to lay down and enjoy the ride.   Fifteen minutes later and we stopped.   We stopped in the parking lot for Cape Lookout.  Mike was wearing a pack around his waist, was he going to carry treats for me, what was it that pack?  I got hooked up the the leash to my Gentle Leader, I walk better with it on.  It was chilly, foggy and a bit damp, but I'm a dog and all-weather.  We started down the trail and reached a fork.  One way was to the beach, the other, to the tip of the Cape, 2.4 miles.  I was hoping that was round trip, I am an older dog.  After a few minutes on this soft trail, I was up to temperature and going strong. My nose is telling me that I've never been on this trail before.  I've heard Mike tell his guests to walk it, but I'm making my mark, if you know what I mean.   Mike keeps stopping to look through this new black electronic thing he got from the UPS driver (more on him later).  It's still overcast with some sun breaks here and there.  I got some good sniffs in and found a lot of what Mike called "game trails."  Smelled more like deer, bear and squirrel to me.  As we got toward the center of the Cape, we got to the center of the rain forest.  I guess they call it that because it wasn't even raining and there was still water dropping from above.  The fog or marine layer in combination with all the trees makes for a drippy walk.  We got through some damp spots and the trail had some boardwalk segments too.  I used about half of them and walked through the muck the other half.  We had to watch our step the whole way.  There were lots of tree roots and rocks in the trail.  About one hour in to it and I think the 2.4 miles is one way.  Were still walking.  We encounter our first hiker coming the other way.  I sit and let them pass.  I am a big dog and know that not everybody likes big dogs, so I do my best to be a good walker and get out of their way.  We get to the edge of the Cape again and just like that, we are at the end.

There are a few groups standing at the end.  Talking with each other.  I have a rest and share a bottle of water with Mike.  Yes, I can drink out of a bottle.  We also share a granola and fruit bar.  Mike takes some pictures of the other hikers and we get our picture taken too, the only time I lay down the whole trip.

We head back down the trail, the overcast skies have cleared and it's 10 degrees warmer on the return trip.  A lot faster too even though we see a lot of people hiking in.  I, of course, sit for them all to pass.  We get back in the Touareg and head for home.  Once home, Mike gets me some fresh water and starts making cookies, that means more guests are headed my way.  I wonder what they will smell like?

No comments: