Monday, August 25, 2008

Block Party Recap

No post on Sunday, I was worn out.  The block party on Saturday was a lot of fun.  It started later than I would have liked, I usually am down for the count around 9 p.m. and things didn't get going 'till 8.  People started gathering on the Sun Deck of The Craftsman B&B until it overflowed, then it moved to the street, where it belonged.  Locals, friends and B&B guests all joined in.  After the restaurants closed, we got another wave of guests, as the crew of the Bistro joined in.

Fronte, the Inkens service dog in training came over too.  We ran in circles in the back yard until we started driving some people crazy.  It was a good thing, I like to play with other dogs, but I'm old and playing with a 2 year old is tiring.  Abby escaped from her back yard and joined in on the fun until her sister Sami wanted out too.  All four of us were soon in the street.  We wandered around but stayed close.  I don't get to go out front without a leash very often, my nose can get me in trouble.  I will follow any scent I feel needs investigating, that can take my far away.  So I was pretty good, enough smells to keep me close.  After dark, I ended up on my stake and cable.  I am a dark colored dog and couldn't be seen to well in the night.  The street light doesn't work and we don't want it to work.  The lights of the house lit the street well enough.

Derek Inkens brought some of the buffalo he got bow hunting.  I wanted some, I was hearing everyone rave about it.  Sliders were also popular.  A group from the Pelican were close the food table all night.  Mike asked that they all back away for a bit, just like he tells me.  Chenin made her "cowboy caviar", there was cheese, chips and other picnic foods.

The lights on the house finally went off and people started cleaning up.  I kept an eye out for any scraps that may have come my way.  Laura made a first wave attempt at cleaning up and putting away food.  She made sticky buns for the next morning.  Mike went out to have a beer at the Sportsman and the Nestucca Lodge.  I stood guard by the bed until he came back.  Once Mike was back home I finally got to curl up into a ball and off to squirrel chasing dreams.

The alarm went off, it felt like just a few hours later.  Mike got up, drank a bottle of water and took 2 pills and on to another day of serving his guests.  How does he do it?  It was good to smell all my friends and get some new smell in as well.  Parties at the B&B are always fun but they can wear me out.  I used to go on a long walk for a party, it helped keep me mellow during he party.  Now, I need a day off to recover.

No comments: