Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mike Interview

So I mentioned a while back that I would interview local Pacific City people and a few guests here and there. Who better to start this off than my master Mike?

Mike is the innkeeper at The Craftsman Bed and Breakfast, my home. He moved to Pacific City in 2005. He and his wife, Laura, my other master, purchased the house in 2000 while on their first wedding anniversary. We all still lived in Lake Oswego, Oregon and at first just came to Pacific City on the weekends. They started remodeling the house in 2003. It took the contractor one year and it took Mike and Laura one year to do all the finish work. I’m glad I didn’t have to live at the house during the remodel. We all liked our house in Lake Oswego. It was on ½ acre lot and I had a lot of room to run around. Mike worked in the yard at least 1 hour a day and 4 hours on the weekends. I enjoyed watching him mow, weed, water and care for all the fruit trees and roses. While we were working on the house in Pacific City, Mike had to do all that work during the week.

What is the best program on television?
Law and Order.
What book would you recommend to your friends?
Hop on Pop.
What hobbies or sports do you enjoy most?
I like to play golf when I can, a couple times a year and my goal is to beat my dad who plays several times a week. He is in his 70’s so hopefully I can do it soon. I came close last year but got psyched out on the last hole and gave up a 2-stroke lead. I also ride my Ducati Monster on all the Oregon Coast roads.  Baseball and football on TV.
Food, wet or dry?
I like a lot of different kinds of food, nothing Asian though.
If you could have anything you wanted for dinner, what would be on the menu?
Italian, but Mexican works as well.
What do you want to be doing ten years from now?
I would like to still be doing my dream job of an innkeeper.
Which celebrity would you most like to meet in person?
Vince Vaughn.
What is the greatest problem in the world?
Darfur.
What is one of the most creative things you’ve ever done?
Restored the house that is now The Craftsman B&B.
What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
Don’t own a boat. Have friends who own boats.
If you could go anywhere on earth for a two-week vacation, where would you go?
Turkey.
Why?
It’s not Europe, the Middle East or Asia; it’s all of them.
What is your dream car or vehicle if price didn't matter?
As of this moment Aston Martin DB9.  A vintage Bronco would be nice too.
Have you met anyone famous?
Paul Newman, I used the urinal next to Steve Martin in a restaurant in Boston.
What is something you can't help but spend money on?
Stuff for The Craftsman B&B
What is your worst habit?
It used to be tobacco, now, I guess Dr. Pepper.
Do you have any phobias?
Water and heights, only when my brothers or sisters are around, I’m the youngest of five and tormented throughout my childhood, oh, and sleeper sofas too.
What is your favorite day of the week?
Pay day.
What website do you never go a single day without viewing?
ducatimonsterworldwide.org
If you were given the day off from all of your everyday responsibilities, how would you spend it?
Golf or Motorcycle ride.
Who was your first celebrity crush?
Meg Ryan.
What is your favorite type of flower?
Square roses.
What does “likes to take long walks on the beach” mean to you?
A person who is not creative enough to come up with an original description of themselves.
If you could have a $10,000 shopping spree to one store, which store would it be and how long would it take you to spend the $10,000?
MotoCorsa and about 3 seconds.
What place in the US would you most like to visit?
Chicago.
Why?
Food, architecture, Cubs, Bueller.
Coke or Pepsi?
Dr. Pepper
Is your calendar always on the correct month?
No, shop calendar doesn’t change through the summer because I’m not in it so much. Office calendar is usually a few days into the month before it gets changed.
What is one of the silliest things you’ve ever done?
I fell out of a golf cart at full speed. I got a grass stain from my ankle to my wrist as I slid down the fairway.
Desk: messy or organized?
I’d like to think it’s organized, just full of clutter.
How late is late?
5 minutes, if later that that, call. Everyone has cell phones, make the call.
What talent would we be surprised to hear you have?
I can throw a mean knuckle ball.
Who would you want to play you in the movie about your life?
Andrew McCarthy.
What is your all time favorite joke?
This guy walks into a bar with a dog. The bartender says “you can’t have a dog in here.” The guy says, “This dog can talk.” The dog jumps on the stool and asks the bartender “can I have a bowl of water?” The bartender is amazed. He says, “my buddy owns a bar down the street, can your dog go in and order a drink?” The guy says, “sure give him some money and he’ll do it.” The bartender puts a $20 bill in the dogs collar and the dog leaves the bar. The bartender waits 5 minutes and calls his friend. No sighting of the dog. The guy goes outside to find his dog and it’s humping a poodle. The guy says, “You’ve never run off like that before.” The dog says, “I’ve never had twenty bucks before.”
Elementary school—bully or bullied?
A little of both.
Ever broken a body part?
Yes, Ribs as an accident and 3 surgeries when the doctor did it with a saw, both feet and jaw.
Iced Cubes or Crushed Ice?
Small cubes.
Do you believe in Big Foot?
I do live the North West, so yes!
Favorite costume you’ve ever worn?
The hand-me-down lamb costume. We all wore it, several years in a row. I have won the Witches Choice award twice at an annual party we go to.  Not as a lamb.
What scared you as a kid?
These motorcycle trails we used to ride our bikes on, “the tip-ups.”
Do you have any advice for a 5-year-old child?
Don’t give your candy to your dad.
What is one thing about you that you have not shared yet, that others would find interesting?
I retired when I was 42. I set a lofty goal and achieved it. You can too, do what you want to do in life and you will be happy.

Who will I interview next.  Keep checking the blog to find out.  If you would like me to interview you, send me an e-mail at oscar@craftsmanbb.com.

No comments: