Sunday, August 10, 2008

Toe nails

Today I'm going to talk about something every dog needs to pay attention to.  Toe nails.  They need to be maintained.  When I lived in Lake Oswego, I had a half acre to run around.  I created a path from the deck steps to what Mike and Laura called the back, back.  I worked it up to be banked perfectly for my high speed runs to the back, back.  Well as it turns out, my personal banking made it hard for others to walk the same path.

Mike & Laura had these guys come to the house and in 2 days there was this blue stone pathway on my old pathway.  There were about 20 guys working on it, it was fun to watch.  So on with the story.  That stone path was great for my nails.  It kept them short enough not to cause me pain when I walked, yet they were long enough for me to dig when I needed to dig.  I found a lot of acorns in the back yard, must have been the squirrel.  Oh, and I had enough traction to chase the squirrel.

Now that I'm at The Craftsman B&B, my walks to the bank and hardware store don't keep my nails trimmed.  Walks on the beach, forget about it, the sand makes my pads nice and soft but doesn't grind down the nail.

So the new routine around here is this;  Mike gets the clippers, we go out back, I let him clip my nails and he cuts the grass.  That way if the quick gets nipped, I stop making a mess before the grass is cut.  Earlier this year, I got nipped pretty good and it took a really long time to stop bleeding, he used a styptic pencil.  Mike was with me the whole time and he finally got it taken care of.  That didn't scare me, I still like to get my nails done.  It makes me faster on the hardwood floors.  I can get to the door before the end of "ding-dong."  How fast are you?

No comments: