Thursday, August 28, 2008

Winema Beach


Shh, it's a secret beach.  Located south of Pacific City and north of Neskowin is another place I'd like to tell you about.  I'll keep the exact location and how to access a secret, you'll have to visit me at The Craftsman B&B to get directions.  This is a great out of the way spot Mike and I visited the other day.  Mike has seen it on Google Maps but didn't know how to get there, so after the guests check out, we went exploring.

About 1/4 of a mile north of the access there is a rock stack, just like Haystack Rock in Pacific City and Proposal Rock in Neskowin.  It's tiny and easily accessible.  We stopped for a rest in the shade.  The beach didn't have much hard sand and I don't like to walk near the water so we were in the soft sand most of the way.

We kept walking North as it was such a great day.  Up on the cliff we saw our friend John's house.  He has a dog named Oscar, a St. Bernard.  I haven't met him yet, maybe some day I'll go over and play.  That's the house on the hill in this photo.  Look at all the drift wood that has collected.  A beach combers paradise.
Just a little farther up the beach we found this totem.  Say hello to my little friend.  When I say my friend, I made it mine, if you know what I mean, I am a male dog BTW.
We walked up the the bar of the Nestucca River. This is a dangerous spot. It looks like it's no big deal but boats and lives are lost here every year. Hanging out at the end of the sand spit dividing the ocean and bay are seals, on the left of the picture, they're taking a rest from munching on the fall Chinook salmon coming into the bay. Looks nice and calm right?


















Well Mike turned 90º to the North and this is what it looked like. Remember, this was a very calm day.






You can see Haystack Rock, Cape Kiawanda and in the distance Cape Lookout.

No comments: